Monday, August 17, 2009

Blind = Nothing?

What do you think about the title?

Do you have anyone you love, your child, your sister, your brother, your husband, or maybe your friends that thing that they are nothing because of their blindness or visually impaired?

YOU MUST CHANGE THEIR MIND!!!

Back to mid-2006, I lost 90%-95% of my vision because of Glaucoma, this is a eye-disease that may cause a high-eye-pressure and if not controlled, the pressure will broke the eye-neuro and may cause blindness.

Since that, practically I can't do anything, I resign from my job as a software developer then vacuum for about 9 months.

On March 2007, we (me and my wife) watch the television about the library for the blind. My wife told me to visit the library. "At least you can read the book even you cannot see it." she told me.

Than, she go with me to the library and see what it looks like.

There, we meet may peoples that have a low-vision or blindness like me.

And WOW, you know, what I see is that they can use the computer, even they are blind. Not just for reading the book, but they can check email, chatting, blogging, and one of them can do programming!!!

Amazing!!! So I interested and then they introduce me to the one software called "JAWS".

And now, I'm already got a new job, as a software developer. Thank's to God.

So, what is JAWS?

JAWS, stands for Job Access with Speech, is a screen reader software, published by Freedom Scientific. Currently, the newest version available is JAWS 10.

How it works? When JAWS running, it will start to read what is it in the screen, so you can use the computer with your ear, without your eyes.

What you can do with it? You can do almost every computing activity, browsing, chatting, emailing, blogging, even programming.

But of course it have limitation, what you can't do is design, of course you need your eyes to do that.

So, from now, tell your loved one not to be hopeless-person. Try this software and looks what they can do with it.

To get the software, go to Freedom Scientific website at : http://www.freedomscientific.com.

There is a 40-minutes version that will stop running after 40 minute and start run again for another 40 minutes after restart the computer. But I think it's enough, at least better than can't do anything. But if you have fund you can buy it.

Let's help them for a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment